Mud riding has been around for hundreds of years and is an outdoor activity that can be enjoyed by all ages. It is the most popular sport that is played outdoors, so much so, that it has its own World Championship.
With quad bikes becoming more popular in recent decades, mud ATVs have started to gain attention. In the past few years, this type of vehicle has found a place among professional riders and sports enthusiasts alike. The designers of these ATVs have made them to be lightweight and durable for extreme terrain conditions.
8 Best MUD ATVs
ATVs, also known as all-terrain vehicles, originally were intended for military use on rough terrain. The military has largely given up on this type of vehicle, but MUD ATVs continue to dominate the market because they offer what many riders want: adventure and fun in a lightweight package.
If you are looking to buy one, we have reviewed some of the most popular options for you below:
1. Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition
The Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition is an ATV made for extreme all-weather performance, either for purposes of cross-country and trail riding at high speeds or playing in the powder like never before.
The innovative features include an aluminum cast frame and a more powerful engine that provides up to 120 hp – enough power to take you across most terrain with ease, no matter what kind of weather mother nature throws at you.
There is a front-mounted radiator fitted inside with routed twin fans that keep everything cool. It also comes with high bumpers offering extra ground clearance. For added protection of the vehicle, the company has shielded the clutch and intakes for keeping both mud and water away.
- High-performance mountain bike with an efficient, lightweight design
- Has a moderate price point and is targeted toward recreational and beginners
- Rugged, stylish design and an even more durable construction
- 29.5” High Lifter Outlaw 2 tires
- ProStar 850 cc 4-stroke twin engine, liquid-cooled
- 13.5” ground clearance which is good
- CVT transmission offers an extra-low gear for maximizing the torque
2. CAN-AM RENEGADE X MR 1000R
The X MR 1000R is a true all-terrain vehicle and it has been specifically designed for a cross-country race. It features a lightweight aluminum frame, suspension fork and Rotax 976 cc V-twin engine, liquid-cooled.
It’s geared towards trail riders who want to take their ride on the roughest terrain with the least amount of reliability issues. The latest model comes with upgraded tires, bulletproof underbody protection, and a snorkeled engine.
- Quite affordable for the features it offers
- Offers great traction and durability for riders
- Offers an excellent braking system for riders to stop with ease.
- Advanced Rotax 976 cc V-twin engine, liquid-cooled
- Large 30” ITP Cryptid tires
- 12.5” High ground clearance
- Unique locked diff offers unyielding traction that prevents slippage over soft surfaces
3. YAMAHA GRIZZLY EPS
Despite it not being built for slippery terrain, the Yamaha Grizzly still has enough power and handling that it landed on our list of awesome MUD ATVs. It has an amazing CVT transmission and is a quality machine overall.
The Yamaha Grizzly EPS XT-R is the first motorcycle to redefine the meaning of “extreme performance” with its cutting-edge design and engineering that incorporates the latest technology in electric motorcycles.
The Grizzly has a range of features that allows it to be used in many different events including motocross, enduro, and off-road. It can also be used by people who just want a good trail bike since it’s more than capable in varying terrain.
- Advanced, tested, and reliable 686cc engine
- The engine has a ceramic-coated cylinder liner, forged piston, heat-treated chrome-moly connecting rod, gear-driven counter balancer
- Good response fuel-injection
- Ultramatic CVT transmission
- The four-wheel drive system uses a locked rear differential
- One-way sprag clutch that allows for off-throttle engine braking
4. Arctic Cat MudPro 700
The Arctic Cat MudPro 700 ATV is a powerful ride and has a maximum speed of 44 mph and it’s tough enough to conquer any terrain. With a rugged yet stylish design, this ATV is ready to take you anywhere.
It is a leading mid-size ATV, providing adventure and the freedom of rugged terrain without sacrificing off-road capability. The ArcticCat MudPro 700 will make your needs as a rider more accessible thanks to its unmatched traction and control in different terrains.
It is fitted with a powerful 634cc single-cylinder engine with automatic CVT transmission. This gives riders ultimate control on every ride. With an easy-to-reach fuel tank, you can stay on the burn for hours at a time without worrying about refueling or changing out of gear.
- Powerful 700cc H1 V-twin engine especially built for mud riders and similar terrains
- 18-inch tires from Maxxis Zilla offer great grip
- Wheels are made from super-strong and durable aluminum
- Light weight compared to other competitors i.e., 800 pounds or 362 kilos only
5. Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS High Lifter Edition
The Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS High Lifter Edition is a mountain bike that is a perfect fit for trails, especially muddy terrains. It’s lightweight, low to the ground, and can handle any terrain you throw at it with ease.
With a powerful engine and a weight of just over one thousand pounds, this motorcycle is ideal for both professional riders and weekend adventurers. The world-class gas tank provides enough fuel for a long trek without worrying about running out of gas.
- Has a powerful 999cc 4-Stroke DOHC Twin Cylinder engine
- Drive at great speeds and maneuver through mud easily
- Fitted with super comfortable somewhat comes with very comfortable padding
- Great 29.5-inch High Lifter Outlaw II tires complement the design
- Integrated with a real mud machine that passes through mud easily
- Integrated with a very strong 4,500 lb crank that easily goes go through hard mud bumps
- Other useful features include super easy to control and the ability to handle at high speed on every surface and barrier
6. Rosso Motors Kids Electric ATV
Rosso Motors is an Italian company that has a plethora of different products. One of these products is the Rosso Kids Electric ATV, which is designed for kids up to the age of 12.
The main purpose of this product is to help kids fulfill their outdoor activities while staying safe and in control. This electric vehicle is easy to assemble and use on all terrain types, with a range of up to 20 km on a single charge.
Rosso motor’s electric ATV has two speed options: low or fast. It also comes with a built-in suspension system so it will absorb any bumps without causing much of a jolt. They are designed to be easy to use, safe, and environmentally friendly.
The Rosso Motors Kids Electric ATV is an excellent way for children to learn to ride a bike without the fear of falling over and getting injured. There is also a durable design that makes it the perfect toy for outdoor playtime in the yard or on the farm.
- Comes with an excellent power supply of 500 watts in combination with a 13-watt battery
- Provides a power backup of 2-3 hours
- Light-weight and weighs about 100 pounds only
- Offers 3-different speeds anis d backed by an excellent disc braking system that provides excellent braking power
- Beautiful designs and two-color options are available
7. Kawasaki KFX ATV 700
Kawasaki KFX ATV is an all-terrain model with a stylish design, high-end features and options. And the best part is that Kawasaki made this model to be affordable too. The bike incorporated many different engine technologies and up-to-date features so it could provide a higher level of comfort and performance.
You would love the product design that is sleek, sporty, and lightweight to deliver a fun ride. It has good traction, including a durable aluminum chassis with a skid plate and dual-jet intakes for better performance.
It is one of the best off-roaders that you can find in the market. The engine is fuel efficient and powerful. It also has a good braking system and a tight turning radius.
- Great sporty looks with a distinctive jump-out style
- Excellent 12-watt battery that provides 2-speed options (3mp and 6mph)
- Handles all kinds of surfaces including mud, thin snow, and stones
- Fitted with a powerful wheelset made from chrome giving it great stability on most surfaces
- Supports weight of up to 75 lbs
- Great for kids from 3-6 years
8. Yamaha Raptor 700r
The Yamaha Raptor 700r is a motorcycle with a powerful engine and design that has been specially made for the future of motorcycling. It is also extremely comfortable, making it perfect for long trips or commutes. The futuristic design will also grab the attention of anyone who sees it – particularly its single headlight, which isn’t your average motorcycle’s headlight.
With a wide range of configurations and a robust engine, the Raptor 700r can handle even the most challenging terrain. This bike has been designed to be the ultimate adventure machine. It has an unrivaled power-to-weight ratio and is light enough to take on any terrain with ease. The ATV can take on mud or open roads while still giving you superior traction control and stability in wet weather conditions.
- Versatile and high-performance bike
- Features a 686cc 4-stroke liquid-cooled V-twin engine for tons of torque and smooth, easy throttle control
- Constructed from Hybrid steel and aluminum frame
- Front and back disc hydraulic disc brakes provide great control
- Comes with 5-speed w/ reverse transmission type
- Big-bore torque, premium fully adjustable shocks
- Very comfortable and excellent handling ability
The most important feature of a MUD ATV is engine power, as it determines how well the vehicle can drive on different types of terrain. Other important features include wheel size and tread depth, as these determine how easily the vehicle can navigate through even the muddiest of mud pits.
If you want a detailed and comprehensive guide about how to drive an ATV, then read out our guide on this link.
Another key feature to look out for would be suspension type — some people find that they enjoy full-suspension models while others appreciate models with independent rear suspensions. Some of the features that you should be checking before buying a MUD ATV include:
When you’re driving on tough roads, it can be dangerous and your ATVs ability to ride through is important. That’s why manufacturers put high-mounted radiators and shielded components.
The mud is thick and it takes a powerful ATV to pull itself through it. The best mud machines create maximum torque and horsepower.
3. Ground Clearance
Quad bikes that are built for going through deep mud tend to be taller than those built for mountain trails or sand. It helps you avoid getting stuck, and lower ground clearance can make it difficult to cross such terrain without hitting rocks. Therefore, go with a MUD ATV that offers the maximum ground clearance.
Matched with the right vehicle and surface, mud-specific tire treads can help provide better traction as well as reduced separation from the ground. This can be helpful when working in a muddy or slushy situation.
If you are looking for a balanced Mud ATV from a reliable brand, then you can go with the Yamaha YAMAHA GRIZZLY EPS. Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS High Lifter Edition can be your option if you are looking for a more powerful and the best riding experience. In case you are searching for an ATV that is perfect for your kids, then you should be going with the Rosso Motors Kids Electric ATV. It has been built for kids from 6-12 years.